Jokes by Levi


What did the ice cream say when the banana asked when it could come over?
Only on a sundae!

What does a drama king wear to bed?
Pa-dramas!

What do you call a swashbuckling rat?
A pi-rat!

What do you call a shoe that has a problem?
An is-shoe! (An issue)

What do you call a video game that you play with more than one person?
A "we!"

What do you call it when someone listens in on Christmas Eve?
Eves-dropping!

And one contributed by a friend:
What's brown and sticky?
A stick!

Levi called me into his room saying, "Oliver's a quarterback." Oliver was on the bed on his tummy with 4 quarters on his back.

What does a crocodile say when it wants to be a rooster?
CROC-a-doodle-do!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Kind Acts



We've been trying to do some community service projects as a family but I find it hard to find things the kids will be interested in and/or not disturbed by at this age. I've recently found a project I can participate in and show the kids the kinds of things that can be done.

There's a program called Afghans for Afghans (http://www.afghansforafghans.org/) that distributes hand-knitted or crocheted blankets, hats, mittens, sweaters, socks, vests, and other clothing items to families in Afghanistan. This has been fun for me because I can indulge in knitting without wondering what in the world we're going to do with another hat.



In my photo, I am holding a 10" x 10" square that I knitted. It will be combined with other same-sized squares to make a blanket that is 30" by 40". The other is a photo of a toddler size mitten I've just finished. L & O really like these so at some point I'll do some for them too.

At the yarn store, I saw pegged rings that can be used to knit. I've never used one before but it looks like it would be something the kids could do--if they are interested, which is the tricky part. I'd like to get one to see if they'd do it but I'm reluctant to buy something that has a big likelihood of going into the craft-projects-abandoned pile.

I have craft-reluctant boys, a fact that I have been very slow to get over. One year I (and, yes, it was totally I) thought it would be fun to hand-make Valentines. This was when L was still in school so it required making about 20. He was game--for about the first 5 and then he told me I could do the rest! What I get for foisting a Valentine craft on him.

At Thanksgiving this year, I pulled out a book of holiday crafts and very eagerly offered a turkey craft. "No thanks, I made one of those last year," L told me! That was the end of that. O mostly declines crafts too and most often skipped them when that were offered in preschool. I'm slowly learning that the crafts that will get done around here will be ones that I take full and sole responsibility for!